The Secretary General of the United Nations, Antonio Guterres, has appealed to support African-led efforts to restore peace in Sudan.
In an interview given to Al-Arabiya Television, Antonio Guterres said regarding Sudan that there is no justification for fighting when the country is falling apart.
Fighting between the army and paramilitary forces in Sudan has entered its third week, killing hundreds and displacing thousands.
According to the news agency AFP, the Sudanese Department of Health has reported the death toll at 528, while 4,500 have been injured.
Khartoum, the capital of five million citizens, has turned into a battleground where fighting has been going on since April 15 between army chief Abdul Fattah al-Barhan and paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) chief Mohammad Hamdan Daqlou.
In spite of the efforts of a ceasefire in Sudan, the intensity of the fighting could not decrease.
An eyewitness from southern Khartoum said explosions were heard in residential areas, while another eyewitness said fighting had been ongoing since Sunday morning.
The chiefs of the rival armed factions continue to accuse each other in the media.
Abdul Fattah al-Barhan believes the RSF’s aim is to “destroy Sudan,” while Mohammad Hamdan Daqloo portrays the army chief as a “traitor.”
According to the United Nations Food Programme (World Food), the ongoing fighting between the armed forces could push millions more into the grip of hunger, where a third of the population is already facing famine.
Saudi Arabia carried out the largest evacuation operation from Sudan on Saturday, bringing 20 Saudis and 1,866 foreigners to Jeddah.
According to Arab News, the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that after the arrival of new people, the number of people expelled from Sudan by the kingdom has reached 4,879. Among them are 139 Saudi citizens and 4,738 citizens of other countries, including Australia, Germany, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Rwanda, and Germany.