Sudan’s warring military factions have agreed to a new short-term ceasefire agreement for seven days.
According to the American news agency AP, this announcement was made by American and Saudi mediators. Earlier, several attempts at a ceasefire in Sudan failed.
The United States and Saudi Arabia said in a joint statement that Sudan’s military and Rapid Support Forces signed a seven-day ceasefire in the coastal city of Jeddah, which will take effect at 9:45 p.m. local time Monday night.
The statement said the war could be extended if both sides agreed.
The joint statement said the two sides pledged with Saudi and US facilitators that no military gains would be made within 48 hours of signing the deal.
Earlier, an agreement was reached between the two sides regarding the protection of civilians and delivery of humanitarian aid, but both accused each other of violations.
In the joint statement of the United States and Saudi Arabia, it is said that it is known to all that the parties have previously declared a ceasefire which was not implemented.
“Unlike previous ceasefire agreements, the agreement reached in Jeddah was signed by the warring parties and will be monitored by a US and Saudi-backed ceasefire mechanism.”
The Monitoring and Coordination Committee will consist of three representatives each from the United States, Saudi Arabia and the warring factions.