Turkey’s Defence Ministry has said warplanes have carried out airstrikes on suspected Kurdish militant positions following a suicide attack on a government building in the capital, Ankara, on Sunday.
According to the American news agency AP, the Ministry of Defence said that the air operation destroyed 20 hideouts of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party, or “PKK”, including caves, shelters, and depots.
On Sunday, a suicide blast took place in front of the Ministry of Interior building, in which two policemen were injure. While the other attacker was kill by the police.
The Kurdistan Workers’ Party (KPP) has bases in northern Iraq. A news agency close to him has said that the KPP has claimed responsibility for the suicide attack.
The Turkish Interior Ministry also identified one of the attackers as a member of a banned organisation. While the other attacker is being identified.
Addressing the parliament, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said that. The attackers who targeted the peace and security of citizens will never be able to achieve their goals.
Justice Minister Yilmaz Tonik has said that the investigation into the “terrorist attack” has started.
He wrote on X (formerly Twitter) that these attacks will not be an obstacle in Turkey’s war against terrorism.
Earlier, Turkey also carried out operations against the Kurdistan Workers’ Party in northern Iraq. Since 2016, it has conducted military operations against ISIS and the Kurdish militant group YPG.
Turkey, the United States, and the European Union have declared the YPG a terrorist organization. Since 1984, the YPG has launched an insurgency. Thousands of people have died in this conflict.
Last year, a bomb exploded in a busy area of Istanbul, killing six people and injuring 80. Turkey blamed the PKK and YPG for the bombing.